|REASONS TO PROMOTE THE USE OF REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS
QUALITIES OF THE PERFECT REUSABLE SHOPPING BAG
- Statistics indicate the USA alone uses over 100 billion plastic
bags a year.
- These use more than 10 million barrels of oil to manufacture.
- Only about 5% of these are recycled.
- Paper bags use more energy to produce and millions of trees
fall each year to meet demand for paper bags.
OK, LETS PUT KOZY KARMA SHOPPING BAGS TO THE TEST
- Price should be reasonable enough that a person can buy at least four, but not so cheap that the quality is poor and the bag ends up on the floor of the mini-van.
- The bag should be compact enough to keep handy in your purse or glove box of your car.
- It should be easy to keep the bag clean, so that you actually want to put your shopping into it.
- As the point is to rid the world of plastic, maybe the best option isn’t the common polypropylene plastic bags that are currently flooding
- Size should be equivalent to the plastic or paper disposable bags.
- Retail price 12.00.
- Zips up into itself into a wallet size pouch, making it every easy to keep handy in your purse or glove box.
- As the bag closes up completely into a wallet pouch, it is always clean and ready to use.
- Made of 100% cotton, and we’re looking at other options such as bamboo and jute.
- The cotton we use is durable and double stitched.
- Our bags are the same size as your standard plastic bag.
|In 1964 Bob Dylan wrote these lyrics,
“If your time to you is worth saving, then you better
start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone, for the
times they are-a-changing.”
Those words resonate truth at this moment in history.
The world is changing, no one can deny that. It’s time
for us to revise our thoughts and our habits. The quote
“Every journey begins with one small step”, are words
we need to live by when the world and the problems
seem so large and overwhelming.
Many of us just feel paralyzed, unable to think and know
what we can do to affect change. Two of the biggest
issues that are facing us globally at this time are how to
preserve energy and how to cut down on waste. We can
facilitate change for both of these issues with one simple
action. Remember to bring our reusable shopping bags to
market when we shop.
People are easily discouraged by this idea . It seems so
impractical to bring a dozen or more shopping bags
to the market. Old habits are not changed overnight and
maybe it will be awhile before plastic bags are eliminated
altogether. Let’s say we keep one shopping bag with us at
all times and use it every chance we get.
The results would look like this:
One person using 5 less plastic bags per week is 260 per
year, if only 1% of the USA population did this, then
780,000,000 (seven hundred eighty million) less plastic
bags would be used each year. Only about 5% of plastic
bags are recycled. Ten million barrels of oil are used to
produce the 100 billion plastic bags the USA uses each
year. It’s very simple and easy to calculate how much
oil can be saved and how much waste can be prevented if
we just pactice one simple conscious act.